Friday, May 8, 2020

Michigan Friday: Jimmy Pens Open Letter

When I think of Jimmy, I think of this verse from an old Billy Joel song:

♪ You may be right
I may be crazy
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for
Turn out the light
Don't try to save me
You may be wrong for all I know
But you may be right ♪


Hell yes I wish Michigan would win more football games and beat Ohio State once every 5 years (at least!) or so but the late Lee Iacocca might have said it the best, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way".   Jimmy is trying to lead and it's making an impact.  

Jimmy did something similar a year ago, saying that all kids should have one transfer available to them without penalty.   The NCAA is now reviewing that and that might take effect later this summer. 

To summarize Jimmy's latest letter:

  • Players can go pro if they are ready after 1 year of playing college football.   For example why is Trevor Lawrence still at Clemson?
  • Players should have greater access to the NFL, agents, and lawyers to determine their Pro potential. 
  • Players not drafted with eligibility left can return to the college football
  • Players entering the draft early, can still have scholarship options at the school he left 
  • He also continues to support the 5 year rule and getting rid of redshirting 


I don't love the one and done rule  and think kids should stay for at least 2 seasons in college football.  Though I do understand Jimmy's point but only a few elite prospects should be affected.  My fear is that too many players would think they are ready, sign with an agent, and close the door on college football way too early.   

The rest of the rules make sense to me.  The return if your not drafted is clearly aimed at Sean McKeon who left early with a season to play and didn't get drafted.   



from The BIG HOUSE Blog http://mbighouse.blogspot.com/2020/05/michigan-friday-jimmy-pens-open-letter.html

No comments:

Post a Comment