Monday, January 1, 2018

A Nightmare of A Day

You go to bowl games to enjoy yourself.  You want to enjoy your team playing a different opponent and get away for a few days.  Bowl games are not cheap, no matter if you are traveling by plane or car.  You most likely have transportation costs, hotel costs, food, and tickets.   You're investing your time and your money to support your favorite team. 


My favorite team my entire life is the Michigan Wolverines.  I always knew they wouldn't be flashy but they would play hard and compete every game.  I don't know when that changed but it has.  Not even the chosen one Jim Harbaugh has been able to change it.  Something is wrong or broken and for the life of me, I can't tell you what it is.  


I realize I'm pissed off coming off a terrible loss to a terrible team just a few minutes after the game mercifully ended.   This is not the program of my youth or what many of you grew up watching.   Maybe there was a "Tiger Woods" effect when you played Michigan and opponents just feared the Maize and Blue and didn't play well because of it.  


My family and I spent the entire day freezing in 40 degree weather in Tampa, that had a pretty strong wind and light rain.   The first half was one of the worst half's I have ever watched on the offensive side of the ball.   For some reason that half seemed like it took 3 hours and had 100 punts.   It was miserable watching your team play like that in poor conditions. 


As I sat back at halftime and looked at a half empty stadium, you start to wonder if your a sucker for investing in this bowl game.   Michigan then comes out of the locker room and starts to dominate the game, like many (including me) predicted they would.   They score the games only TD and it seems they are on their way to an easy victory up 16-3.   Thoughts like, how is South Carolina going to score on Michigan's defense?


Then Michigan did what they have done all year, they keep the other team in the game when Michigan's offense and Tampa's own Karan Higdon fumbles on the 5 yard line.   A sure Michigan TD is taken off the board and Michigan's tired defense is asked to win the game again.   They didn't and started to fold as the offense kept putting them in terrible positions.    I almost lost my mind when Peters rolled out after a score and doesn't see Gentry running wide open for a sure TD instead throws to WR 3 yards out.   


We all knew the game was over, when Peters throws that terrible pick in the end zone.  Michigan's offense kept a terrible South Carolina offense in the game.  Let's not be confused, South Carolina's offense is as awful as a D1 offense can be.   Which leads to the question, where is Michigan's offense?  


I'm tired of excuses, I'm tired of terrible play, I'm tired of losing to OSU and MSU and I'm tired how this program continues to under achieve year after year.   This is not about a loss to a poor South Carolina team, it's about where is this program going?  It has good recruiting, it has a Super Bowl coach and former QB, it has all the facilities.   What is missing?


As I leave the stadium, freezing from the cold, feeling the light rain on my face, pissed that I just invested so much money into this terrible game.  The one thing I know for sure is, I'm the sucker for falling for it again. 
 




from The BIG HOUSE Blog http://mbighouse.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-nightmare-of-day.html

No comments:

Post a Comment